The solution is obvious: one should call on a notary who provides any necessary assistance in correct formulation and strict compliance with the laws of Ukraine.
The procedure of inheritance requires special attention, whereas each specific case is unique and individual, thus may have certain peculiarities.
To obtain qualified assistance in your inheritance case, we recommend to call on a notary who examines all documents and provides you with professional advice.
- To open an inheritance case, one should turn to a notary within 6 months (it is very important to comply with this requirement) after a testator’s death; the inheritance itself will be claimed, i.e. the title deed will be obtained, after 6 months at any convenient time, provided the inheritance case have been opened.
- An inheritance shall be opened at the last place of residence of the deceased; if such place is unknown, at the place where the major part subject to inheritance is located. You may prove the fact of residence of the deceased at specific address by providing the certificate issued by the House Maintenance Office, certificate issued by the address bureau, according to the records in the household register, which is to be submitted to a notary when opening an inheritance.
- There are two types of inheritance: by law and by will and testament. With the will and testament, the heirs shall be those who are stated in this document. With no will and testament available, the heirs will be assigned by law according to the procedure and in order stipulated by the Civil Code of Ukraine. It should be emphasized that the first line to inherit are children, spouses and parents of the deceased exclusively.
- An heir is entitled to waive the inheritance, having this done within 6 months. If you want to waive your inheritance, it is also necessary to turn to a notary who opened the inheritance case and draw up the respective statement at the notary’s office. In case you change your mind until 6-month period expires and agree to accept the inheritance, you may withdraw your previous waiver statement.
- You may not accept something and waive the other. Either you accept or waive an inheritance, this is done in full. Accepting an inheritance, you inherently accept not only rights of an heir (e.g., a title to apartment), but also his/her liabilities (e.g., on repayment of credit).
Briefly, the procedure of inheritance is the following: you collect documents, your notary opens an inheritance case within 6 months; when 6-month period expires you must visit a notary again and initiate the process of formalisation of documents in your name, obtain necessary certificates on real and personal property.